Beginners Guide to Flexible Dieting

How to get the body you want with Flexible Dietin.

If you dread the idea of dieting, we get it. Most diets feel more like punishment than self improvement. In fact, most diet ‘'gurus’' will tell you that if you want to lose fat or build ''lean muscle'', you can say goodbye to just about everything you ever enjoyed eating. Not so fun.

Well what if we told you that you could dramatically transform your body eating foods you actually like, every day, 7 days per week? What if we even said you could remove all anxiety and guilt associated with dieting and actually learn to love this way of life instead?

Too good to be true? Yeah, we used to think the same. We now know the truth and are about to share it with you.


What is Flexible Dieting?

No matter where you are on your fitness journey, you have probably heard of flexible dieting or IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and thought...what is this diet and how can it work?

To start off with, flexible dieting is NOT a diet - it’s a nutritional concept. Simply put, it is the tracking of macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate and fat) to achieve a body composition goal. Macronutrients or Macros make up the majority of our diets. There are three main macros:

 Protein

 Fat

 Carbs

Flexible dieting is designed to fit around your lifestyle. The key is to stop thinking there are “clean” and “dirty” foods and starting thinking of foods in terms of their macros. A doughnut is no longer a dirty food, it is now 260 calories, 14g fat, 31g carbohydrate and 3g of protein.


NO DIET PLANS!

That's right, we don't write them. The reality is, no matter how great these look on paper, diets don't work if they are not practical, we are humans not machines. Our bodies are pretty amazing. They know exactly what we need and will tell us when we need them, not the other way around. However, when food enters your stomach your body isn’t thinking “healthy or unhealthy?” it is simply breaking down the food and processing the macro-nutrients. So by focusing on tracking your macro intake rather than eating certain foods or following a boring diet plan, you can still achieve your goals while enjoying life with everyone else, DREAMY. 


HOW TO TRACK

Scared of tracking? That's understandable as it’s a bit of a mind boggle to begin with but we can’t stress enough how tracking macros is so easy once you get the hang of using  MyFitnessPal. Head over to their website for instructions on how to set it up and use the food diary.

And the good news is that at CM Fitness, we like to simplify things. We believe life is too short to track every single macro. This may be different for those preparing for upcoming body competitions, or even for those who just enjoy having that level of strictness and control over their diet, but if this all seems too much for you, don’t beat yourself up. Flexible dieting should be F-L-E-X-I-B-L-E. If you’re stressing over not hitting macros spot on, or concerned that you’ve been served whole milk instead of skimmed with your afternoon coffee, you’re not being flexible, you’re being...well boring. We want you to relax and enjoy life with a beautiful sense of balance and perspective.


The 80/20 approach

This is where the balance comes in. Many websites will tell you that to change your body you can eat whatever you want as long as you hit your macro goals. Now this is technically true, however if you want to maximize your health, longevity, and overall well-being then we recommend sticking to the 80/20 approach. With 80% of your daily calories from relatively unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods, you can fill the remaining 20% with cravings to avoid the dreaded 'binge'.


 Need help?

We not only help you change your body, but also your mind and attitude towards food and training. Let us help you become a stronger, more confident person. Invest in yourself and begin your body project today!